Thursday, February 7, 2008

In Praise of Ravens & Crows

I have discovered that my mind's eye needs glasses. For years I have tried to convince myself that, with just a little more effort, I could become an organized, spit and polish professional. Now the people that know me that just read that sentence are laughing. And with good reason too!

I am a scavenger. One who happens upon things and through a maelstrom of unmedicated thought reassembles ideas and items into something "other." I spit but I will never polish.

When I was doing "On the Occasion of a Bloody Nose" (see below). I happened upon a murder of crows feasting upon a rather unlucky bunny. This got me thinking how like a crow or raven I am. In fact, my soon-to-be 18 year old daughter has taken to calling me "Old Crow" with great delight. So I began a web search of all things crow-like.

This piece is the result of that wandering.

"Blackbird" is an outtake from the Beatles Kensington Studio Sessions. It doesn't have the bird calls over the second verse which I have always found extremely annoying...

This assemblage would be nothing without the wonderful photography I found from:

Carl Cook at
www.clcookphoto.com/crows.htm

and

Paul Lantz at: http://www.lantz.ca/

Please visit both of their sites and feast your eyes on their exquisite work!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...every living thing in whose nostrils was the breath of life died." "[And at the end, Noah]sent forth the raven; and it went to and fro [beating its wings, stirring the air to breathe, scavenging life from death]until the waters were dried up from the earth." Genesis 7:22, 8:6-7

Bless the blackbird.